At the end of the 19th century it was decided to provide the city with an adequate port infrastructure, which gave rise to an important debate around two projects: that of the engineer Luis A. Huergo and that of the merchant Eduardo Madero. Madero’s proposal, which provided for the location of the port in the vicinity of the Plaza de Mayo, was approved by the National Congress in 1882 and the works were opened in 1897. Then, at the beginning of the 20th century, the deposits were built of red brick that today constitute the stamp of the neighborhood.
Finally, around 1916, Costanera Avenue was drawn, one of the favorite walks of the inhabitants of the city, where the Municipal Spa was created. Due to the inefficiency of the Madero project (it became obsolete very soon when it did not contemplate the increasing size of cargo ships), between 1911 and 1930 the New Port was built in its replacement, so that the area that was abandoned for more than 50 years.
In 1989 it was decided to rescue the old port area to integrate the City into the river. The project, led by the Puerto Madero Old Corporation (a joint venture formed by the national and city government) involved the recovery of 170 hectares for housing and public space. This neighborhood, whose streets pay tribute to prominent women in Argentine history, soon became an exclusive residential, gastronomic and business center of the city.